Working in the Netherlands as a refugee

When you are creating a new life in a foreign country, finding a suitable job can be a challenge. You are confronted with a different culture, an unknown language and loads of other insecurities. In that case, Tempo-Team is there for you! We will help you find a suitable job in the Netherlands. Do you want to know more about Tempo-Team? And the way we help people to find a job? We are going to tell you all about it on this page.

Go to:

Who is Tempo-Team? 

We are a Dutch recruitment agency who connects job seekers with employers. We have a large network and collaborate with various big employers in every region of the country. It is our job to find a job for you that fits your needs, matches your wishes, skills and education. Whatever your age, background or gender - your willingness to work is what matters to us!

Here are some examples of jobs you can get via us:

  • Production/ assembly worker 
  • Forklift driver or orderpicker
  • Courier (for supermarkets or postal service)
  • Cleaner
  • Customer service employee

Working in the Netherlands: what requirements are needed?

A refugee with an asylum application pending for at least 6 months may work in the Netherlands after receiving a work permit (a TWV in Dutch). Check the Dutch Government website for more information about the TWV. 

Working in the Netherlands via Tempo-Team

To work in the Netherlands, we require you to speak English, German or Dutch. The main reason for this requirement is safety: you must be able to understand the work instructions. This requirement applies to everyone - no matter your nationality.

We offer a couple of language courses, which help you improve your language skills faster.

Special permit for Ukraine

The EU has activated a 'Temporary Protection Directive' for Ukraine. This regulation states that Ukrainian refugees will receive a document from the IND with a residence permit, housing and a work permit. These permits are valid until at least 4th of March 2025. 

Every Ukrainian refugee must possess the IND-document to apply for a job. For all the requirements, visit the IND website. 

Go to the IND website 

Tempo-Team can help you!

Are you looking for a job in the Netherlands? We are happy to help you. The companies and employers within our network offer a great range of job opportunities, which means there is always a suitable job we can find for you. We will make sure to connect you with the right employer and find a job for you that matches your needs, skills and preferences. Besides, we offer free language courses including Dutch, English and German.

Dutch language courses

Do you want to learn Dutch? We offer a couple of language courses, all free of charge. The only thing you have to do is register/ create an account (free of charge). After your registration, you can select one of the courses from our “My Growth” programme and start learning right away. You can choose between the following courses:

  • E-learning - Dutch for non natives: the first steps in learning Dutch.
  • Self study programme - Dutch for non natives: a Dutch language programme which you can follow at your own pace.

  • Can refugees work in the Netherlands?

    Yes, but you have to request a work permit. There are some requirements you have to meet in order to get this permit. Click here for more information about these requirements. Are you a Ukrainian refugee? Then you don’t need a work permit if you entered the country before the 30th of May 2022. If you enter the country after that date, you’ll receive a special IND-permit. Read more about this special permit here.

  • Do you need an employment permit to work in the Netherlands?

    Some nationalities need a work permit to get a job in the Netherlands. Ukrainian refugees can work with a special permit. Learn more about this special permit.

  • What do you need to work as a refugee in the Netherlands?

    To get a job as a refugee in the Netherlands, it is required that you speak English, German or Dutch. This is because you need to be able to understand the safety protocols. Besides that, you have to meet some more conditions. Read more about these conditions here.

  • Will a Ukrainian refugee lose their living allowance if they start working?

    Yes, you will lose your living allowance if you start working as a refugee. If you find a job, you must report it to the local municipality. Your living allowance expires one month later. Do you want more information about working in the Netherlands as a refugee? Read more about this here.

  • Can Ukrainian freelancers work without an employment permit?

    No, the exemption of work permits only applies to Ukrainian refugees who are also salaried employees. As a freelancer, you have to request a TWV-permit to work in the Netherlands. Want to learn more about working in the Netherlands as a Ukrainian refugee? Read everything about it here.

  • Is a Ukrainian driver’s license valid in the Netherlands?

    In the Netherlands, only Driver’s licenses from the EU are valid. Currently, you can drive a car in the Netherlands with a Ukrainian driver's licence. Normally, after 185 days you have to obtain a Dutch driving licence from the Central Bureau of Driving Licences (CBR). On 7 July 2022, a proposal was adopted by the European Commission and decided that people with Ukrainian driving licences, who are under Temporary Protection, will be allowed to keep their Ukrainian driving licences

    As a truck driver, you need to possess an EU-established C/CE driver’s license including a code 95 certificate. A Ukrainian driver's license does not meet this requirement. It is also not exchangeable for a Dutch driving license. For more information about working in the Netherlands as a Ukrainian refugee, read this.